Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Happy Anniversary

Yesterday on my way to office in the morning, my friend Soumya called. Barely able to hear her voice amidst the traffic, I could figure out the words "Happy Anniversary" from her. Suddenly I was drenched in drops of nostalgia & happiness, one year had passed.So many memories,so many joys amidst challenges,tears & learning. With a smile I said "Same to you".

Well let me get it  straight, Me & Soumya are not married , neither to each other (Impossible :P :P ) nor to any extremely lucky man respectively :P ( The "extremely lucky" added to show the good fortune of the guys who would marry the beauties with brains like  us :D :D ) Well jokes apart, the "Happy Anniversary" was on behalf of our successful completion of 1 year at Tata Consultancy  Services Limited (TCS).

Exactly an year back, I had started my journey at TCS , Trivandrum with my Initial Learning Program (ILP). Clouded with hopes & apprehensions,I searched the internet for  all the blogs & experiences related to TCS Trivandrum,completed the lengthy legal procedure,packed my bags, booked my ticket,got pampered with gifts & blessings by family & friends, bid farewell to my tearful parents &  left for Trivandrum listening to "Tanha Dil Tanha Safar" on my I Pod. :P (Yeh shayad kuch zyada hi filmy ho gaya :P ).

ILP @ TCS Trivandrum was sheer magic. The intoxicating beauty of Kerala enraptured me to the core as I thoroughly enjoyed the trips to Ponmudi, Poovar,Allepey, Varkala,Kovallam & Shangumukam beach in Trivandrum with some awesome people who became dear friends.

The training in terms of Technical Skills & Business skills were also highly enriching.The faculty were an epitome of what they taught. Amidst endless power point presentations under strict scrutiny we all learned the silent lessons of excellence & enjoyment in the tasks we did.

There were many firsts in my journey in TCS. Some highlights :-

  • Mountain hiking with ladies slippers- The all girls trip to Ponmudi included climbing the top of a mountain, supporting each other through slippery rocks  to reach a waterfall, eating hot biriyani & finally relaxing at a beach. PS : I was the only girl wearing ladies slippers who went hiking that included leech attacks :P


  •  Art Attack - During ILP we made a chandelier made of plastic bottles & I tried glass painting on an empty glass bottle as a part of Recycle, Reuse & Reduce campaign in which these items would be auctioned for charity.We created posters on Industrial Service Units in TCS & also a Rangoli which won the Second prize  during the Diwali Bash.

Chandelier made of plastic bottles


Glass painting by meeeeeeeeeee :D

poster
Our Award winning Rangoli :P on Global Warming

  • Outbound Learning Program with Mitsubishi trainees-10 trainees including me were very lucky to undergo the unique learning program filled with adventure sports & inherent management lessons at the "National Adventure Foundation" with the Mitsubishi trainees from Japan who were so cordial. There was a lot of cultural exchange that happened happily from both sides.

  • My First Marathon - After a lot of thought, I decided to run the 5k marathon at TCS Bangalore.As mentioned in my earlier  post it was an experience of  a lifetime including a brief meeting with the CEO himself who inspired me to keep running. The marathon inspired me to push myself beyond my comfort zone & to run & reach my goals.

  • Life Transforming Books - The Information Resource Center (IRC) at TCS has offered me many books that have transformed my life in innumerable ways.The Secret, The Happiness  Project, The Alchemist,The Monk who sold his Ferrari, Unposted Letters, Go Kiss The World, The Professional,Same Soul Many Bodies, The Case of the Bonsai Manager, Snapshots from Hell and few more books have had a tremendous impact on my way of life & thought process. 
So along with  the above , the source of enrichment for me has been the company of people at TCS whether it be peers or seniors who have made my journey even more special. Right from the Meet the Mentors sessions to the PEEP sessions to the interactions with the seniors who have spent almost a decade here, I have not only learnt the importance of being a Professional but also to be a better human being. Heartfelt gratitude to each one of them.

I have seen puckered eyebrows when they enquire me about my salary, to the fact that I am along the 2.5 lakhs associates who work here, but at the end of 1 year I have realized that enrichment in work life has very little connection to one's pay slip & being a part of a beautiful sea doesnt deter the fact that you are a unique drop who makes the sea beautiful.

In short I have realized that sometimes being happily married isnt always a prerequisite for having a "Happy Anniversary" :P Cheers to life !

2 comments:

  1. awesome dd!! loved d stuff u all hv made 4 charity, n d rangoli ws mind blowing!!! n ya i ve been thru sm f d Robin Sharma books...n they hv actly upliftd my spirits so very well!! n keep sharing such productive activities n book list so tht the goodness spreads faster.. :) n ooops! i forgot! :P
    CONGRATS! :)

    ReplyDelete