Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pehchan Kaun..Odia ya Bong??

The name is Roy..Sarba Roy. Well that was a bit filmy way to start.

I am a Bong(colloquial term for any Bengali girl/boy) from Odisha, speaking a Bengali that is often said to have an Odia influence, celebrating Odia festivals, cooking & eating a convergence of Odia & Bengali cuisines, loving Bengali Literature & Rabindra Sangeet & above all a true Cuttacki at heart.

 The flamboyant Roy joined our family name when in a comedy of errors we got it from the British.But the funny thing is that  in my childhood I used to have this vague notion that our family was related to "Raja Ram Mohan Roy", an essential figure appearing in std 6-7 history books everywhere in India, until I was corrected by my grandmom in my late teens.

Why I said a little something about my name was because no matter where I have been, the next question to me after the usual "What is your name ?" is "Ohh Are you a Bengali?" or "Ohh You're Bong Right?" or "Roy..Ummm Bengali Right?" and sometimes "Bengali..ummm u look like a malayali though". 

Then comes the analogy "Ohh Bengali meaning you love fish naa", "You must be having sweets & misti doi with breakfast also naa", "Have u read Gitanjali?","Your face resembles Goddess Durga" &  the stereotypical jokes which are sometimes not at all funny.

After the next question, all hell breaks  loose. "So where are you from?". I utter "My native place is in Khurda but I stay with my parents in Cuttack, both are places in Odisha". 

Then comes "Ohh Odisha, but u said you were Bengali Right?","So you speak Bengali or Odia at home?","Ohh so you dont have any relatives in West Bengal?", after a "No" as the answer I get a puzzled look & sometimes puckered eyebrows.
 
After a brief explanation that my family has been staying in Odisha for 4-5 generations, I summarize by  saying that "While Bengali is my Matru bhasa(mother tongue), Odisha is my Janmabhoomi (mother land)".
Its as is I have two mothers.One has taught me the beauty of Literature, Art & Music while the other has enriched me with rich heritage & culture.

Both the cultures have made me who I am.They have made me crave for Dahibara Aludum & Mangshor Jhol,enchanted me with Rabindra Sangeet & Akshay Mohanty's music, enthralled me with Durga Puja & Kumar Purnima, blessed me as Maa Durga & Prabhu Jagannath.

A Bong from Odisha can be an interesting combination, just like Poda Pitha & Misti Doi. What you get depends a lot on what you ask for.







9 comments: